"Encourage each other daily, while it is still today." -Hebrews 3:13

Monday, July 12, 2021

Ordinary and Holy


(March 3, 2021) Recently, we watched the movie ‘The Letters’ about the life of Mother Teresa of  Calcutta. (It’s available to rent through Amazon.) Mother Teresa was one of the  most spiritually influential people of our generation. She won the Nobel Peace  Prize in 1979 and was canonized in 2016.  

Mother Teresa has been a source of inspiration for me for as far back as I can  remember. Watching the movie prompted me to do something a little differently for this reflection. This week, I’m letting her do the talking; I’m sharing with you  some of her spiritual wisdom. Her quotes below assure us that, among other  things, giving doesn’t have to be complicated, and that even our ordinary and  everyday work can become holy if it’s blanketed in love.  

I invite you to let her words sink into your mind and heart. Notice what grabs your  attention and maybe moves you to act. May her words and example inspire all of  us to find our way closer to God and each other through our prayers, love, and  service. 

“Sanctity is not a luxury for the few. It is a simple duty for you and me. I have to  be a saint in my way and you in yours. Thoughtfulness is the beginning of great  sanctity. If you learn this art of being thoughtful you will become more and more  like Christ, for His heart was meek and He always thought of others.” 

“Start by making your own home a place where peace, happiness, and love  abound, through your love for each member of your family and for your  neighbor.” 

“Even if we do a small thing for somebody, God, being almighty, sees everything  as great. Even if you write a letter for a blind man, or you just sit and listen to  someone, or you take the mail for him, or you visit somebody or bring a flower to  somebody, or wash clothes for somebody or clean the house… small things, but  God sees everything as great. There are many people who can do big things. But  there are very few people who will do the small things.”

“Pray at home for only five minutes. Prayer is simply talking to God. He speaks to  us, we listen. We speak to Him, He listens. A two-way process: speaking and  listening.” 

“You can pray while you work. Work doesn’t stop prayer and prayer doesn’t stop  work. It requires only that small raising of the mind to Him: ‘I love you, God. I  trust you. I believe in you. I need you now.’ Small things like that. They are  wonderful prayers.” 

“It is so beautiful that we complete each other! What we are doing in the slums,  maybe you cannot do. What you are doing at the level where you are called – in  your family life, in your college life, in your work – we cannot do. But together you  and we are doing something beautiful for God.” 

“To the cast of a musical performance in Calcutta I said, ‘Your work and our work  complete each other. What we are doing is needed in the world as never before.  You are giving them joy by your action and we are doing the same by service. And  it is the same action whether you are singing and dancing and we are rubbing and  scrubbing. You are filling the world with the love God has given you.’”  

“What made me start my work, what inspired me and kept me going during so  many years? Jesus. We do it for Jesus. I take Jesus at His word and He never lets  me down. He said, ‘Ask and you will receive.’ So I ask. If it is for His glory He will  grant it; if not, let us forget about it. God knows what is good for us.” 

“I do not think I have any special qualities. I don’t claim anything for the work. It is  His work. I am like a little pencil in God's hand; that is all. He does the thinking. He  does the writing. The pencil has nothing to do with it. The pencil has only to be  allowed to be used.” 

“A rich man came to me and said he wanted to give up something in his life – his  house, his car. I suggested, ‘When you go to the store to buy a new suit or some  clothes, instead of buying the best, buy one that is a little less expensive and use  that extra money to buy something for someone else, or better still for the poor.’ 

When I finished saying this he looked really amazed and exclaimed, ‘Oh! Is that  the way, Mother? I never thought of it.’ When he left, he looked so happy and full  of joy at the thought of helping others.”

And, finally: “We can never know how much good a simple smile can do.” 

I found nothing mentioned about it, but I suspect Mother Teresa loved this happy  and hopeful verse: 

“Give and gifts will be given to you; a good measure, packed together, shaken  down, and overflowing, will be poured into your lap. For the measure with which  you measure will in return be measured out to you." -- Luke 6:38 

PRAYER: “Lord, may everything I say and do be for You, with You, and because  of You.” 

This article is a personal reflection by Gina Bedell © 2021. It and other reflections written by her  invite the reader to reflect on a given topic and then seek deeper answers through prayer,  additional spiritual reading, and/or consultation with clergy or other persons who may guide the  reader to a deeper faith and understanding of God’s love and will for their life. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

How Is Washing Pots Like God's Mercy?

Photo credit: Free-images.com Our son, Michael, worked in the kitchen of one of Yellowstone National Park’s lodges for a summer when he was ...