"Encourage each other daily, while it is still today." -Hebrews 3:13

Wednesday, July 10, 2024

Pray With Assurance


Photo credit: Free-images.com


A few people have asked where I get the ideas every week for my reflections. The answer is that, in most cases, I first read the daily Scripture readings for that week’s Masses and jot down the verse that strikes me. Then, I depend on Christ to guide me. As I reflect on that particular verse, I write down what comes to mind or where a ‘gut feeling’ leads me. If I write something that resonates with you, He gets all the credit for giving me the ideas and the words; I’m happy to know I’ve conveyed the message clearly. I’ll add that that’s how Christ will speak to you, too. I encourage you to read Scripture – take a few verses from the New Testament – and notice the thoughts and feelings that come to you as you read.  


A common theme this spring was how Jesus performed miracles for those whose faith was strong. That topic has come up again this week.


It’s clear that everyone who Jesus helped believed that He could do something for them. It wasn’t just a request or vague hope; they were convinced about it. Their faith in Him and His power was deep. Here’s one example:


“...If I just touch His cloak…” (see Matthew 9:20-22). The woman who’d been ill for 12 years knew in her heart that Jesus could heal her. She had seen and heard enough about Him to become convinced that He could help her. And so, when she learned He was in the neighborhood, she braved the ridicule of the crowds and forced her way through, getting close enough just to touch His cloak. She didn’t sit at home, wishing for her condition to go away. Rather, she acted on her faith in Christ and His power to help her. Notice it wasn’t His cloak that healed her. His cloak didn’t hold some kind of magic; no one else crowding around Him was affected by touching His cloak. It was her faith that healed her.


So, when you pray for something or someone you desperately care about, pray with faith and assurance. Be specific. Know and be convinced that Christ can do it. Ask that He will do it. Ask with an attitude of certainty. Trust Him. Christ might not give you everything you want; He isn’t a vending machine spitting out favors. But He will give you everything you need, and what He knows is for your good or someone else’s good, if you ask with faith. 


Here’s a verse I wrote quite a while ago. Now seems like a good time to share it:


The Promise


The promise 

He keeps

Always

To give us strength,

To give us peace,

And even joy again 

If we but ask.

But not just ask.

Beg.

Insist.

Demand, even, if we dare.

It is ours

For the taking.

Even a miracle.

I’ve seen it.


Pray with assurance.


“Courage, daughter! Your faith has saved you.” – Matthew 9:22


“Lord, strengthen my faith!”



Thank you for reading my reflection. © 2024 Gina Bedell     Comments are always welcome! 


Please share this with your friends by clicking on one of the icons below. Blogspot doesn’t have a ‘subscribe’ feature and so I appreciate your help in sharing my reflections. Thanks!


If you or someone you know would like to receive these writings directly, please email me at ginabedell1@gmail.com and I will add you to my ‘BCC’ email list.


You can also find my posts on Facebook!


P.S.

Pray for peace at home, in Ukraine, Russia, the Middle East, and around the world. Donate toward a cause that tugs at your heart. Take care of those around you; take care of our planet. Pray for the families around the globe whose lives have been torn apart by war and natural disasters.


No comments:

Post a Comment

What's Your Superpower?

  Photo credit:  Free-images.com Seen on t-shirts and coffee mugs in a back-to-school sale: “I’m a teacher. What’s your superpower?” Teacher...