"Encourage each other daily, while it is still today." -Hebrews 3:13

Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Unexpected Answers

 



“I thought that he would…” – 2 Kings 5:11

Naaman had been told that if he travelled to Samaria, the prophet Elisha would cure him of his skin disease (see 2 Kings 5:1-15). When Naaman got there, Elisha sent him a message to go and wash seven times in the Jordan River. That’s it; just wash in the Jordan, and his skin would be healed. At this, Naaman became angry and started to leave. “I thought that he would surely come out and stand there to invoke the Lord his God, and wave his hand over the spot and cure me” (verse 11). Naaman may have been angry because Elisha himself didn’t heal him; plus, Naaman had to put in some effort to bring about his own healing.

Do we turn away from our Lord when He doesn’t answer our prayers the way we want Him to? Do we expect Him to swoop down and fix everything for us? Do we neglect the hard work He asks of us to solve our problems? God always answers our prayers, not necessarily in the way we want Him to but in His way, because He knows what’s best for us. And while He doesn’t cause sufferings, in His wisdom He permits them. Just as Naaman’s illness led him to the prophet, God knows that our challenges may draw us closer to Him.

Through prayer, God changes either the situation or our attitude toward it. Everything He does, He does because He loves us. He wants us to come closer to Him. He wants to make us holy.

I thought that He would…

            …instantly and miraculously cure me.  Instead, maybe God’s teaching me to trust Him; maybe He’s teaching my caregivers compassion. Maybe He’s asking me to take steps that will help me feel better or foster the healing I’m praying for.

            …let me win the lottery. Instead, maybe He wants me to wash away my wasteful spending habits or look in a new direction for employment.

            …take away this one particular struggle. Instead, maybe God wants me to spend more time with Him in prayer so He can speak to my heart about how to handle it in a loving way.

Take to heart the words of the prophet Joel. Draw near to our Lord and He will bless you with His love, His peace, and His joy – the ultimate answer to all of our prayers:

“Even now, says the Lord, return to Me with your whole heart; for I am gracious and merciful.” –Joel 2:12-13

“Show me, Lord, Your way, so that I may walk in Your truth.” (Psalm 86:11)

Thank you for reading my reflection. Comments are always welcome! Feel free to share it with your friends by clicking on one of the icons below. Thanks!

p.s.

You may help the besieged people of Ukraine through the Cleveland Maidan Association using either PayPal or a credit/debit card here:

https://www.paypal.com/donate/...

 

If you prefer to write a check, make it payable to Cleveland Maidan Association and mail it to:

Pokrova Ukrainian Church

6812 Broadview Rd.

Parma, OH 44134

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember 9/11 and Change

Photo credit:  Free-images.com It’s hard to believe that, before 9/11, there was little security at the airport. Anyone could enter the term...