"Encourage each other daily, while it is still today." -Hebrews 3:13

Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Let Peace Find You

 


“Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.”  --Romans 1:7

This persistent respiratory infection has slowed me down quite a bit. You’d think that would’ve put me in a tizzy – who has time to be sick in December?? But I don’t have the energy for a tizzy and so, odd as it may seem, this slowdown has been a blessing.

Our Christmas tree still isn’t up but I know we’ll get to it eventually. In the meantime, the other decorations around the house are making me smile. I appreciate online shopping like never before! On the few occasions when I have gone shopping, I’ve had to go at an unhurried pace and in small blocks of time. This isn’t COVID but I keep a safe distance and wear a mask to keep my germs to myself. Instead of thinking of ALL I have yet to do, I try to focus on the ‘now’ and thank God for the one person I’m shopping for in that moment. Yes, I’m sad that I might miss some festivities in the next week or so; I can’t deny that. I also can’t dwell on it. Instead, I’m taking care of myself and thanking God for what I can do. Overall, I feel a great sense of appreciation and peace. What a blessing.

When we slow down, act mindfully, and thank God for His gifts and people around us, we invite His peace to settle over us. We let His peace find us.

Try this: As Christmas gets closer, especially this last weekend before Christmas Eve, resist the urge to get caught up in the frenzy that seems to infect most of us and spread like a nasty virus. Before you pull out of your driveway, pray a short prayer; keep it simple, like, “Lord, keep me kind and patient.” When you’re out shopping, slow your walking and breathing as you make your way through the store. Then – and this is the fun part -- see how many people you can make smile. Make it a game and keep count! When standing in line, remember that no one likes to wait and everyone else has other things to do, too. So, instead of joining the others who are sighing and impatiently shifting packages around, catch someone’s eye and smile. Practice friendly small talk. A little effort on your part could create a minor epidemic of joy and peace to the other shoppers.

Yes, you have much to do; it won’t get done any quicker if you’re grumbling the whole time.

So, slow down and let peace find you. You just might spread it to others – and even get them to smile back.

 “Lord, bless me with Your peace as I prepare for Christmas.”

 

Thank you for reading my reflection. © 2022 Gina Bedell     Comments are always welcome! Feel free to share it with your friends by clicking on one of the icons below. Thanks!

 If you would like to receive these reflections directly to your inbox, please email me at ginabedell1@gmail.com and I will add you to my ‘BCC’ email list.

 p.s.

We continue to pray for an end to the war. If you’d like to help the people of Ukraine through the Cleveland Maidan Association, you may use either PayPal or a credit/debit card here:

https://www.paypal.com/donate/...

 

 

1 comment:

  1. I love the Smile Game, thanks for the reminder. This is a lovely reflection, Thanks Gina.

    ReplyDelete

Remember 9/11 and Change

Photo credit:  Free-images.com It’s hard to believe that, before 9/11, there was little security at the airport. Anyone could enter the term...