"Encourage each other daily, while it is still today." -Hebrews 3:13

Wednesday, December 7, 2022

Even With Illness, We Wait With Hope

 


 “See how the farmer waits for the precious fruit of the earth, being patient with it until it receives the early and the late rains. You too must be patient. Make your hearts firm, because the coming of the Lord is at hand.” –James 5:7-8

 

“Not again….”

I thought by now we’d have the Christmas tree up and decorated and at least some of the gifts purchased and wrapped. Instead, my husband and I have spent the past week or two battling a severe respiratory infection.

I’ve had this kind of virus many times before, in various degrees of severity. This time, I’ve felt it spiritually as well as physically. I felt discouragement set in when I looked at the calendar and saw how close we are to Christmas and all the festivities that go with it. I’m also keenly aware that many others are battling greater illnesses and struggles than I am, and I feel compassion for them. And while I didn’t feel festive or energetic, I made myself put out some of the Christmas decorations, even if it took a couple days instead of a couple hours. Doing so lifted my spirits.

A farmer plants, waits, and looks forward to the day when the sprouts poke through the soil. His waiting could be described as ‘confident hope,’ the kind of hope that knows for certain that what was promised will come to pass. We adopt this same sentiment of anticipation during these weeks of Advent, and we can remind ourselves of it when we’re feeling flat spiritually. We remind ourselves that Christmas means God-with-us, and so our preparations for Christmas are both active and contemplative. He’s with us whether we feel His presence or not. He’s with us whether we’re able to put up decorations or just manage to take care of His gift of ourselves as we wait for the illness or struggle to pass. He’s with us when we’re the ones in a position to care for someone else. He’s with us when we plant seeds of love through our words and actions, and even when we don’t see the fruits of our labors. We trust that He’s working ‘underground’ to bring forth growth from our efforts. And we’re hopeful that our imitating Christ will make us more like Him.

While we acknowledge the difficulties of today, we remind ourselves that God never changes, even when our health, moods, and circumstances do. We look ahead and do whatever it is we can manage, one day at a time, to prepare for Christmas. In this way, we wait patiently with confident hope.

“Lord, help me not get discouraged by life’s challenges. Help me keep my focus on You.”


Thank you for reading my reflection. © 2022 Gina Bedell     Comments are always welcome! Feel free to share it with your friends by clicking on one of the icons below. Thanks!

 If you would like to receive these reflections directly to your inbox, please email me at ginabedell1@gmail.com and I will add you to my ‘BCC’ email list.

 p.s.

We continue to pray for an end to the war. If you’d like to help the people of Ukraine through the Cleveland Maidan Association, you may use either PayPal or a credit/debit card here:

https://www.paypal.com/donate/...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember 9/11 and Change

Photo credit:  Free-images.com It’s hard to believe that, before 9/11, there was little security at the airport. Anyone could enter the term...