"Encourage each other daily, while it is still today." -Hebrews 3:13

Wednesday, June 28, 2023

The Difficult Path: Challenge Accepted





My husband and I have discovered the joy of hiking trails. The Gorge trail runs behind our house, and Cuyahoga Valley National Park is only six miles from here. We’ve recently hiked in state and metro parks in Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Virginia, and North Carolina, plus part of the Appalachian Trail. Each one offers spectacular views plus unique challenges: steep terrain, fallen trees to climb over, massive rocks to squeeze between, shallow rivers to cross… you get the idea. 


While flat trails are easier – and sometimes we do take those easy trails – the hike is more enjoyable when the trail is more difficult. The challenging parts are what reward us with an exhilarating feeling of accomplishment.  


This idea to ‘take the more difficult path’ isn’t new, nor does it apply only to hiking. Anyone who has worked hard to excel in their field of work, master a skill, or grow in virtue knows what it feels like to do what others can’t or won’t do. Those who make extra sacrifices for their families or give more than they’re asked also know that, “If it were easy, everyone would do it.”


How does this translate to living our faith?


We, as maturing Christians, know that we will be rewarded for following Christ’s Way even if others don’t. Taking the less popular path isn’t easy. It sometimes means accepting the challenge to go where others refuse to go. That may look different for each of us. These and other questions may help us see how closely we’re following Christ:


Do I take time each day, and one day each week, to thank God for my life and everything I have?

Do I spend time in prayer and try to understand what God is asking of me at this stage of my life?

Do I treat my neighbors, especially those who are different from me,

as I want to be treated?

How do I treat the stressed wait staff or the customer service rep on the phone?

Do I cling to my possessions?

Do I censor what I watch and listen to on my electronic devices?

Am I hiding anything?

How do I treat my parents and in-laws? Have I forgiven them?

Do I hold a grudge?

Do I ask forgiveness when I’ve wronged someone?

Do I envy others’ possessions or accomplishments?


Following Christ may not be the easy way. But He promises us that His Way is the way to eternal life.


“Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the road broad that leads to destruction, and those who enter through it are many. How narrow the gate and constricted the road that leads to life. And those who find it are few.” – Matthew 7:13-14


“Lord, show me Your way and help me follow You more closely.”


Thank you for reading my reflection. © 2023 Gina Bedell     Comments are always welcome! 

Please share this with your friends by clicking on one of the icons below. Blogspot doesn’t have a ‘subscribe’ feature and so I appreciate your help in sharing my reflections. Thanks!


If you or someone you know would like to receive these writings directly to your inbox, please email me at ginabedell1@gmail.com and I will add you to my ‘BCC’ email list.


p.s.

We continue to pray for an end to the war. If you’d like to help the people of Ukraine through the Cleveland Maidan Association, you may use either PayPal or a credit/debit card here:

https://www.paypal.com/donate/...




No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember 9/11 and Change

Photo credit:  Free-images.com It’s hard to believe that, before 9/11, there was little security at the airport. Anyone could enter the term...