"Encourage each other daily, while it is still today." -Hebrews 3:13

Wednesday, December 6, 2023

Loving Holiday Greetings


Happy St. Nicholas Day! Did you know December 6 is a holiday?


Saint Nicholas is how Santa Claus got started. Nicholas (c. 270-343) was orphaned at a young age. Taking Jesus’ words to “sell what you have and give to the poor” to heart, he used his entire inheritance to help the needy. In some European countries, St. Nicholas Day is the day kids get excited about; it’s when their gifts arrive. Christmas is a holy day. So, if someone wishes you a Happy St. Nicholas Day, whether you celebrate it or not, feel free to cheerfully return the greeting!


Years ago, I worked with a woman who I thought might be Jewish because of her name and facial features. When writing out Christmas cards, I found a cute one with snowmen on it (I love snowmen!) and wrote ‘Happy Holidays’ in my greeting. A short time after that she told me they were Christians. I expressed my surprise and told her why I didn’t write ‘Merry Christmas’ in the card. We both laughed and no offense was taken. Hanukkah begins at sundown on Thursday, December 7 – so if someone wishes you a Happy Hanukkah, whether you celebrate it or not, feel free to cheerfully return the greeting!


In October while walking down our street I saw a large family gathered on their front lawn to take pictures, dressed in vibrant colors with turbans and scarfs on their heads and the red ‘bindi’ dot on their foreheads. I asked if they wanted me to take a group picture for them. One gentleman happily handed me his phone. I took a few pictures of their smiling faces and then asked him what the occasion was. He said it was a Hindu holiday where they ask for blessings upon their family. I smiled and said, ‘Have a nice holiday!’ He thanked me and I continued walking. A few blocks down another family was doing the same thing, so again I offered to take their picture. They kept saying, “Thank you!” As I handed the phone back I said, “Have a nice holiday!” and reflexively one of them answered, “You, too!” We all laughed, and then I continued on my walk, happy and grateful for those chance encounters.


Christ was born to show us that God loves all people. For many, Christian or not, Christmas is a special holiday to celebrate with family and friends and express their love with gifts. If you want the world to know about Christ and the true meaning behind Christmas, start by loving all people. Listen to them; find out what’s important to them. Show them through your actions that they’re worthy of your time. Wish them ‘Merry Christmas’ if you celebrate it. If you’re doubtful they celebrate it, wish them ‘Happy Holidays.’ Above all, greet them – and treat them – with love. 


“Here I am, Lord. I come to do Your will.” – Psalm 40:8,9


Lord, may my actions show Your love to everyone.”



Thank you for reading my reflection. © 2023 Gina Bedell     Comments are always welcome! 

Please share this with your friends by clicking on one of the icons below. Blogspot doesn’t have a ‘subscribe’ feature and so I appreciate your help in sharing my reflections. Thanks!


If you or someone you know would like to receive these writings directly to your inbox, please email me at ginabedell1@gmail.com and I will add you to my ‘BCC’ email list.


You can also find my posts on Facebook!


P.S.

Pray for peace around the world. Donate toward a cause that tugs at your heart. Take care of those around you; take care of our planet. Pray for the families around the globe whose lives have been torn apart by war and natural disasters.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember 9/11 and Change

Photo credit:  Free-images.com It’s hard to believe that, before 9/11, there was little security at the airport. Anyone could enter the term...