"Encourage each other daily, while it is still today." -Hebrews 3:13

Wednesday, March 13, 2024

Run Your Race Freely


Photo credit: Free-images.com


In my dream, I took my position with the others at the starting line of the 5K. Oddly enough, a drab gray bed comforter was draped over me. When the gun went off I tried to run, but the heavy blanket got in my way. I took it off and held it up high so it wouldn’t drag on the ground. I tried to run again but couldn’t. I hurled the blanket to the side. Someone grabbed my arm; I shook that off, too. Then I could run freely.


In the morning, I understood that the comforter and person grabbing me represented an emotional burden I used to carry; I had put it behind me long ago but something reminded me of it. As I ‘run’ through life, I don’t want it to drag me down any more.


Maybe you’re burdened by something that’s getting in the way of your own ‘race’ – your day-to-day living, your peace of mind, and the joy you so desperately want to feel. 

Is a grudge weighing you down? Or, maybe you need to forgive yourself? Lent is a good time to let Christ take these from you.


They say that forgiving isn’t a one-and-done deal; it’s a process. It takes time. It takes awareness, courage, and prayer. It isn’t easy. Also, It isn’t about forgetting what happened. Rather, it’s choosing to no longer let the actions of someone else control your mental, emotional, spiritual, and physical well-being. 


Forgiving is something you do for yourself.


Set yourself free from the person who hurt you. Whether it happened yesterday or many yesterdays ago, begin the process of forgiving. Talk with Christ about it; He hears you! Acknowledge your experience. Don’t pretend it didn’t happen, but don’t keep hanging onto it, either. Picture Christ’s outstretched arms as you peel off layers of pain and put them in His hands. Believe in His unconditional love for you and the joy He wants you to experience. Try saying out loud, “I forgive ______.”


Remember that you can control only your own actions, not anyone else’s. Others will have to answer to God for what they’ve done, so let Him be their judge. Free yourself from that role. Focus instead on how well you’re loving others. Also, try to see your offender through Christ’s eyes. Try to see how their own suffering may have caused them to do what they did. Pray for them.


You might also seek professional help or confide in a trusted friend. Be your own advocate. Take the steps necessary to rid yourself of the burden that’s holding you back from ‘running your race’ freely and becoming your loving and happy self.


Don’t let yesterday rob you of the joyful freedom Christ wants you to experience today. Let Him transform your pain into peace. 


“Hear, O Lord, and have mercy on me; Lord, be my helper.” – Psalm 30:10


“Lord, take this burden from me. I want Your peace. I want to feel happy again!”



Thank you for reading my reflection. © 2024 Gina Bedell     Comments are always welcome! 


Please share this with your friends by clicking on one of the icons below. Blogspot doesn’t have a ‘subscribe’ feature and so I appreciate your help in sharing my reflections. Thanks!


If you or someone you know would like to receive these writings directly to your inbox, please email me at ginabedell1@gmail.com and I will add you to my ‘BCC’ email list.


You can also find my posts on Facebook!


P.S.

Pray for peace in Ukraine and Russia, the Middle East, and around the world. Donate toward a cause that tugs at your heart. Take care of those around you; take care of our planet. Pray for the families around the globe whose lives have been torn apart by war and natural disasters.



2 comments:

  1. Wonderful reflection on past burdens! It's worth noting that formal confession to the priest who stands in the stead of Jesus (confess your sins one to another) is helpful in bringing finality to those past burdens, that though they may be recalled by oneself or another, absolution by God through His Church was real and healing! Rita

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true, Rita! Thank you for that insight.

    ReplyDelete

Remember 9/11 and Change

Photo credit:  Free-images.com It’s hard to believe that, before 9/11, there was little security at the airport. Anyone could enter the term...